Above: Students from Chavez School visit with our Career Mentoring partner, BakerHostetler.
8.5 million children in the U.S. are without a caring adult in their lives.
Partnering with Mentor Foundation USA will ensure that the youth in your community are leading positive, drug-free lives and realizing their potential. Children with mentors in their lives are 52 percent less likely to skip school, 46 percent less likely to use drugs, and 26 percent less likely to use alcohol than those without mentors.
I believe it is everyone's business to invest in the future of our young people.Gunilla Girardo, President & CEO, Mentor Foundation USA
Our career mentoring program is designed for underserved high school students in your community.
The goal with our career mentoring program is to ensure that students are prepared for postsecondary education, trade schools, or entry-level professional success. These are some of the skills that we work on throughout the program:
- Develop professional communication skills
- Increase knowledge about college application process.
- Increase knowledge about career fields
- Establish soft-skills for career development
- Increase self-efficacy for personal and professional problem solving and goal setting.
Every dollar spent on Corporate Social Responsibility = $18 savings for society.
Above: Students at Ichabod Crane Central display their “Dream Wall” at one of our “Shatter the Myths” rallies in New York.
Our curriculum is developed to best prepare each mentee for college and career awareness following these three themes:
Theme 1 – Planning for the Future
- Choices: College and Career Planning
- Your College and Career Roadmap
- Transforming interest into activities
Theme 2 – Developing the Whole Student
- Healthy Decision Making
- Creating Positive Community Spaces through Service
- Leadership and Resilience: Overcoming Failure,
- Positive Attitude, and Taking Initiative
Theme 3 – Branding for Personal Success
- Communication and Social Networking
- Interviewing Skills: From the Resume to the Thank You letter
- Impressions: Public Speaking and Personal Pitch
- Introducing: Personal Pitch and Program Presentations
Career mentoring programs may be three (3), six (6), or nine (9) months. Sessions take place at the host company.
Mentor Foundation USA manages all aspects of designing and implementing the mentoring program. These include, but are not limited to:
- Selecting and vetting school partners.
- Coordinating transportation and scheduling.
- Serving as the liaison between the school and host
- Group mentoring with a ratio of 1:2 or 1:3 mentor/mentees
- All sessions are facilitated by Mentor Foundation USA staff
- Sessions take place at the company address
- 20 – 25 students per program.
- Monthly sessions of 1.5 – 2 hours each
- All sessions are planned in advance. Mentors receive an agenda and overview of the session 24-48 hours prior to each session.
- Pre- and post-surveys are administered among mentors and mentees to measure impact of program
- Parent consent forms will allow for in-between sessions email & phone communication if student is under 18 years of age.
Working with Mentor Foundation USA has demonstrated that, without question, the mentor-mentee relationship is a two-way street. While our professionals have insight and wisdom to share based on their experiences in life and the workplace, they are also open to growth and development personally.Kendall Wangsgard & Etta Williams, BakerHostetler